Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Episode 80 - Bridge in Foggy City

This is the Nusamai Bridge at Kushiro, Hokkaido, Japan.

I travelled by car in Hokkaido in the 2003 summer and arrived at Kushiro on the fourth day of my journey. Kushiro is a city in the north eastern part of Hokkaido. After parking the car at the hotel, I decided to take a walk around instead of by car, as
the GPS system was not functioning smoothly inside a city with high rise buildings.

My hotel was situated near to the Nusamai Bridge and I took this picture on my way out.


It looks as if I took the photo at the evening time. In fact it was only around 4:30 p.m. in the afternoon. It was then very foggy and all the street lights were turned on. Hence, this evening feel photo.

The Nusamai Bridge is one of the 3 landmark bridges in Hokkaido. It was first built in 1889 and has been rebuilt for many times since then. The present one is the fifth generation and was completed in 1976.

On the other side of the river is a sea-food restaurant, in which I and my family enjoyed a yummy Hokkaido "long-legged" crab dinner that evening.

No comments: