Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Episode 75 - Fox Attraction (V)

I purchased this earth bell at the Inari Shrine at Kyoto, Japan.

The earth bell is in the form of the head of a white fox, the Messenger of Inari. The earth bell has a red string at the top so that you can hang it up or attach it to your belongings. There is a small piece of solid material inside the earth bell. Hence, the earth bell rings when it is swinging.

It is said that earth bells are used in Shinto ceremonies, for the purposes of obtaining blessings of the spirits. I do not know how to, and do not intend to, use the earth bell for this. It is now sitting quietly among other earth bells in my collection cabinet.

The white fox earth bells are probably only available for sale at Inari in the Japanese New Year's time as I did not see them during my other visits to the Shrine.


[For more fox attractions, please see Episode 1, Episode 6, Episode 8 and Episode 11]

No comments: