Sunday, December 25, 2016

Episode 233 - Fairy Tale Wonderland - the Shirakawa-go Area








Shirakawa-go is a small village situated at the foot of Mount Haku-san in northwestern Gifu Prefecture. It was registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995.

We started our journey from Takayama City.  It took us about one hour's drive to arrive at the car park of Shirakawa-go.

With the green rice fields scattering in the front, the huge trees in Mount Haku-san form a dramatic backdrop to the antique village houses.

Walking along the paths in this picturesque village, I felt as if I was entering the wonderland in where the totoro was living.  The beauty of the village appeared to be flawless through the lens of the camera.

I compared what I actually saw with what's recorded in the old photos of the village as posted on the internet.  I found that the village should have been substantively renovated and refurnished in recent years. Whilst the old hardware was still there, I would say that what I saw amounting to a brand new village.  It was no longer a "real" village which people earned their living from farming - whilst they still raise their crops, the same should no longer be their main income source.  

I am not sure if such renovation work meets with the approval of a naturalist. 

For me, the renovated village looks good.

No comments: