Saturday, May 05, 2007

Episode 107- Elephant Clock


This photo was taken at the Clock Hall in the Forbidden City at Beijing.

The exhibition hall has a great collection of antique clocks. Some of them were gifts to the Qing emperors from representatives of overseas countries.

I loves time pieces. I like to spend some time in the Clock Hall to watch these clocks every time I visit the Forbidden City. These clocks are my fantasies come true.

This elephant clock is one of my favourites. It features a war elephant with a cart of soldiers, each assuming different posture. There is also a "driver" on the top of the elephant. This finely crafted elephant clock appears to be gold plated and embroidered with jewels. The time piece is at the rear portion of the war cart.

It is said that the elephant can walk if it is wound up.

No comments: