Thursday, January 11, 2007

Episode 63 - Ginger Milk Pudding

No photo this time (see photo in Part III) as the subject matter has been consumed.

I love eating (good food) but I seldom do any cooking myself.

Last Sunday evening, I watched a TV program on cooking at home. It's a one hour show with a lady speaking words of exaggeration and performing seemingly amateur standard cooking demonstrations. I like to watch cooking programs but I did not like this one. I was used to switching the channel as soon as I saw that lady waving a big chopper in the air.

That evening, I turned on the TV and noted that the channel I selected was showing that cooking program. I was annoyed and decided to change the TV channel as usual. Just before I pressed the remote control button, I got a feeling that the lady was very confident at this part of the show. I withheld my desire to switch channel and continued to watch the show. The lady then gave detailed instructions and demonstration on how to make a ginger milk pudding. The instructions as given were clear and up to the point and I felt that I could make a pudding easily, following the procedures as presented.

I decided to give it a try and asked Gogo to purchase the material for me from the supermarket. Gogo was cooperative and bought back all I needed notwithstanding the cold weather.

Applying what I learnt from the TV show, I made some delicious ginger milk puddings for my family. We all enjoyed the puddings.

Thereafter, I reviewed a cook book with coverages on ginger milk puddings. According to the writer of this cook book, it is not a easy task to make a ginger milk pudding. It is said that the successful rate is not high and very much depends on the temperature of the milk and the type of ginger as used. The book then sets out a method developed by the writer. Judging from what I have learned from the TV show, the information as given in the cook book is obviously insufficient. The cooking method as introduced therein is complicated and inconvenient. It can only make one cup of pudding at one time. On the contrary, the procedures as disclosed by the lady in the TV show are straight forward and practicable. I made 4 cups of puddings for the family in one go.

The writer of the cook book is famous. I highly regarded what's said by this writer in the past. The TV lady is not a cook herself and the program is like a talk show of the lady rather than on cooking. Hence I presumed previously that no serious cooking skill would be demonstrated in the show.

I do not mean that this event proves that the lady has acquired the real art in cooking or that she is more skillful than the cook book writer. I am not in a position to comment on her cooking methods other than that on making of the ginger milk puddings.

What I would like to say is that we may easily miss some good thing in life if we let our preconception control our behaviour - if I pressed the remote control button to switch the TV channel in that evening, I would have missed that part of the show on the ginger milk puddings.

In any event, I give one thumb up to that TV lady for the delicious puddings.



[Dear All: Chiu Yin's Gallery has new posting!]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

講來講去,講東講西,點解重未講到Ginger Milk Pudding點整......?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Uncle Paul. Where is the recipe for ginger milk pudding? Uncle John can you please let me have the recipe for it so I can have a go myself at home? Many thanks!

John said...

I do not intend to repeat the method I learned from the TV here. Miaojai, who is in the UK, has also learnt the method to make the puddings. I believe that the recipe will be disclosed shortly at Miaojai's blog:
http://kitchen4miaojai.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle John, I didn;t find the recipe in Miaojai's blog, could you kindly share with me? I have tried many times but fail without fail..sad.. From Mei Hope to hear from you soon!! Thank you!

John said...

Please check e-mail.