Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Episode 34 - Clivia (2)
















This is my clivia in its new pot (see Episode 23 for the flowering clivia).

The original pot was too small and the roots of the clivia extended outside the soil. I noticed the position early this year but by then I noted that the clivia started to blossom. In order not to affect the flowering of the plant, I did nothing until the flowering season ended.

It was not easy to move the plant. Its roots stuck to the inner wall of the old pot and refused to let go. I wished to preserve the old pot on the one hand and do least damage to the roots of the clivia on the other hand. It took me nearly half an hour to successfully pull the plant out of the old pot.

The clivia lost three leaves in the first week after the move. I was worried about this but it soon settled down and has been growing well.

From my experience, direct sunlight may not be suitable for a clivia. The leaves may get burnt if they are exposed under the sun for too long. Once burnt, the damaged leaf is irrecoverable.

I also discover that liquid fertilizer should be diluted (about 1 to 100) before it is applied. Too much fertilizer is harmful to the clivia and may "burn" the leaves and the roots of the plant. My clivia is obviously happy with the diluted fertilizer.

The leaf bud of the clivia has grown bigger. As you can see from the photo below, it has 3 leaves now. Since the bud is in the middle of the mother plant, it is difficult to cut it out at this stage.

Any suggestions?






No comments: