Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Episode 32 - Spirited Away, Spirits Lifted



This photo was taken at Jioufen, Taiwan.

I took an early train from Taipei to Rueifang. I then took the bus on the Jinguashin line just outside the Rueifang Railway Station. With the assistance of the local people, I managed to get off the bus at Jioufen.

It was winter time. The weather was cold with wintry showers. Hence, there were not many people in the streets. However, Jioufen is famous for the sad atmosphere generated by the old buildings erected along the slopes of the hill. If you have a lot of tourists walking along the streets, you will not be able to appreciate the beauty of Jioufen. So it might not have been a bad idea to visit Jioufen in winter time.

It was about noon when I walked into this narrow path. I just got caught in the shower and was then soaked and tired.

Due to the bad weather, the restaurants turned on their lights. Walking along the path under the red lanterns, I had the feeling that I was in the town created by Hayao Miyazaki in Spirited Away.

I stopped and had my lunch in one of the restaurants along the path. The restaurant I chose provided both Chinese and Western food. Due to the cold and rainy weather, the windows and the balcony door of the restaurant were closed tightly to keep the room temperature warm.

I sat near the balcony from where I could have a spectacular view of the sea and the coastal line nearby. On the recommendation of the waiter, I ordered a hotpot with beef and tomatos. When the hotpot was ready, the waiter opened the door of the balcony for me in order that I could have the hot food in the cold weather. Enjoying the delicious food in this wonderful environment, all my tiredness disappeared.

No comments: